RE: Home laptops on a corporate network

Sharepoint 2007 could be a solution depending on what files need to
accessed.

-----Original Message-----
From: listbounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:listbounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Adam Rosen
Sent: Tuesday, May 08, 2007 10:05 AM
To: security-basics@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Home laptops on a corporate network

Hi all -

I have a client who wants to allow employees to use their own laptops on
the corp. wireless network so that they can access files on the server.
I gave them a run-down of options (allow usual file sharing [bad idea],
MS VPN quarantine [complex scripting], SharePoint services [not bad, but
no printer access] and third party quarantine options).

Aside from any other ideas someone may have, it seems to me that the
third party compliance software/appliance, while probably being the most
versatile is pretty costly. I found a couple starting at about $20K.
Does anybody know of any devices that are significantly cheaper and can
allow my client to do what they want? I should mention that they are
bound by HIPAA regulations here. Or any approaches I haven't thought of?

Thanks for the input.

Adam

Adam J. Rosen
President
Buffalo Data Solutions
716-913-6312
ajrosen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.buffdata.com

  • RE: Home laptops on a corporate network
    ... but an unknown number of unique users (which is something that will need to be nailed down in order to license some per user license solution). ... Home laptops on a corporate network ... How many remote clients connections will be required for your customer? ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: SharePoint Services
    ... Thus I was intrigued by this discussion here on the SharePoint possibility ... Civilized palce like a good wifi connection at their local coffee shop, ... would be to simply put the backend database on SQL server and and link ... So, if these people are outside of your corporate network now, then ...
    (comp.databases.ms-access)
  • Re: SharePoint Services
    ... terms of the size of these SharePoint linked tables. ... palce like a good wifi connection at their local coffee shop, ... to simply put the backend database on SQL server and and link your front ... So, if these people are outside of your corporate network now, then ...
    (comp.databases.ms-access)