RE: Home laptops on a corporate network

Sharepoint 2007 could be a solution depending on what files need to
accessed.

-----Original Message-----
From: listbounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:listbounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Adam Rosen
Sent: Tuesday, May 08, 2007 10:05 AM
To: security-basics@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Home laptops on a corporate network

Hi all -

I have a client who wants to allow employees to use their own laptops on
the corp. wireless network so that they can access files on the server.
I gave them a run-down of options (allow usual file sharing [bad idea],
MS VPN quarantine [complex scripting], SharePoint services [not bad, but
no printer access] and third party quarantine options).

Aside from any other ideas someone may have, it seems to me that the
third party compliance software/appliance, while probably being the most
versatile is pretty costly. I found a couple starting at about $20K.
Does anybody know of any devices that are significantly cheaper and can
allow my client to do what they want? I should mention that they are
bound by HIPAA regulations here. Or any approaches I haven't thought of?

Thanks for the input.

Adam

Adam J. Rosen
President