Re: Secure FTP

On 2007-03-20 aaronr@xxxxxxxx wrote:
We have a public facing FTP server that we would like to secure. We
are running a MS 2003 Active Directory domain and this box is running
on Win2k Server. What is the best way to secure this FTP server?
I've tried SFTP, but was just curious as to what else is out there.
Right now we are using the builtin IIS FTP server. Our goal is to
provide a public FTP server so that clients or customers can dropoff
large files there without the need to e-mail them. We aren't too keen
on the fact that FTP is cleartext and these are domain user/pass going
back and forth. Plus, we are a financial institution and any way to
encrypt this traffic would definitely be a plus....even if we have to
provide a link to connecting clients so that they can download a free
secure FTP client.

Any thoughts?

The easiest way would be using SSL-encrypted WebDAV, AFAICS.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323470

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"All vulnerabilities deserve a public fear period prior to patches
becoming available."

Relevant Pages

  • RE: FTP and ISA setup
    ... Please follow the instruction described on the following KB to enable external clients to access your FTP server. ... Local port: Fixed port ... Change the EnablePortAttack value to 1. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Is this a 3-Leg Perimeter scenario?
    ... Do you mean the FTP server is hosted on the ... This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. ... The detailed network diagram. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Microsoft FTP Server problem on W2K?
    ... client (rather than another server, as in proxy transfer), the IP address ... port) currently in use on the control connection. ... >the remote FTP server was, at least at a TCP level, prepared to accept the ...
  • Re: How to develop FTP Server On PPC?
    ... FTP server due to licensing restrictions. ... the server portions (there's no FTP client to my knowledge on CE), ... 2003 Microsoft Corporation. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsce.embedded.vc)
  • Re: Security Problem...
    ... This has happened before on other installations of ... I checked the IIS web server and FTP server logs and the only IP address is ... As far as my Firewall logs, ...
    (microsoft.public.security)