From: listbounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:listbounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Johnston Mark (UK)
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2007 5:06 AM
To: andrews@xxxxxxxxxxx; security-basics@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: The Value of GIAC/GSEC Certification

Hey there,

The biggest distinguishing factor between the 2 certifications is that for
the GIAC certs, you need to complete a practical. This is where I believe
the value comes in, as to be able to pass you must have the practical
knowledge. Take for example the GCFW ... when I did it you needed to design
a secure network, and display the configurations for the particular
components that you used. Then you had to show an attack on a previously
designed network.

If you participate in the courses, you'll also get to meet some of the top
guys in the security industry ... like Eric Cole, Stephen Northcutt Chris