When is a Security patch not a patch?

Greetings,
I have a dilemma. I'm the IT Security dude. I'm responsible for filtering incoming security information (CERT announcements, vendor security patches, real threats, etc.) and doing an impact analysis on them.

Since our organization is very structured i.e. ITIL I then send my report to our Service Delivery team who is responsible for the hands on sysadmin.

So my dilemma is this. Management is now rethinking this approach (since the Service delivery folks are quite busy) and is expecting me to apply patches. My argument is that;
a) No one person can have the detailed knowledge of all the OS's we support (basically all OS's) to
be able to do this and;
b) That a security patch is just another patch, albeit more urgent than patches applied during the regular patch cycle.

To be frank, there is no patch management procedure in place at all. Patches are applied in an adhoc "as needed" basis.

So what to do? Can anyone offer any insight?

Please and Thanks,
Mark

If your IT fails, you're out of business - or worse. Arm your
enterprise with BigFix, the single converged IT security and operations
engine. BigFix enables continuous discovery, assessment, remediation,
and enforcement for complex and distributed IT environments in real-time
from a single console.
Think what's next. Think BigFix.

http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;82309979;15562032;o?http://www.bigfix.com/ITNext/

  • RE: Releasing patches is bad for security
    ... The new patch model for longhorn will not require reboots. ... functionality over security. ... Current patches are getting smaller as with large enterprises bandwidth can ... > MS posted a patch and some 300ish days later the worm hit. ...
    (Incidents)
  • RE: Releasing patches is bad for security
    ... posted a patch and some 300ish days later the worm hit. ... The problem then is how to release patches ... specifically focused on finding security flaws in all of their software. ... Releasing patches is bad for security ...
    (Incidents)
  • Re: [Full-Disclosure] Gates: You dont need perfect code for good security
    ... the blaster worm preceded the patch so this argument is DOA ... you do not have to pay for RHN to get redhat patches. ... I run Astaro Security Linux here at the house..blaster ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: [Full-Disclosure] DCOM RPC exploit (dcom.c)
    ... But you'd still patch either way, ... of home users who don't even know what a security patch *IS*, ... But how many organisations firewall off internal servers from ... administrators have the time to watch the IDS given the number of patches they ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: [Full-Disclosure] Re: Re: <to various comments>EEYE: Microsoft ASN.1 ...
    ... My personal prejudice is that I subscribe to the school of "security by ... I said why release them all on day 0 of the patch release. ... We use the details to create signatures for our vulnerability ... >>these signatures and use them to check for patches or to protect systems ...
    (Full-Disclosure)