From: "Francois Yang" <francois.y@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <security-basics@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, February 14, 2007 4:32 PM
Subject: security not a big priority?

So I have a problem and like to know what you guys think.
I'm a Security Analyst at an Education institute. A community college
to be more precise.
So I was brought on board to address security issues and work on
making this place a better place. Now the problem is.
1. I'm in the network operation team. no security group.
2. My boss doesn't seem to know much about security.
3. My boss doesn't seem to think highly of security since all my
projects seems to be of low priority.
4. I have a long list of things that needs to be done and they are all
waiting for the engineers to work on it. But again they have better
things to do.
So what am I suppose to do? look for another job? :)
anyone run into this problem before?
I'm at the point where I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: security not a big priority?
    ... know much about security, but frankly, he/she may not need to. ... Use your boss for guidance, but you should really take the ... It's been my experience that management support is key. ... So his first priority is network operations. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Thou shalt have no other gods before the ANSI C standard
    ... >>Keeping a system up is the first rule of security. ... >Perhaps what you are getting at is that security is not the only priority; ... Nixing the ATM service suddenly seems like a very attractive solution. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Thou shalt have no other gods before the ANSI C standard
    ... It depends on whether integrity is more important than availability. ... Perhaps what you are getting at is that security is not the only priority; ... kind of tradeoff right requires knowing our priorities, ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Is it bad enough to resign?
    ... It was apparent from your note that security is not your boss's ... definition top priority. ... > thinks that it is secure because my CIO lies and tells ... > We use Linux and Windows. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • RE: Is it bad enough to resign?
    ... If you are looking to do IT in the security area and this is your chosen ... definition top priority. ... > thinks that it is secure because my CIO lies and tells ... > We use Linux and Windows. ...
    (Security-Basics)