Re: Tracing Threatening Email to an IP Address

You'll need your firewall logs, assuming they log access to web sites.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_address_translation

On 1 Feb 2007 19:42:34 -0000, ka4731@xxxxxxx <ka4731@xxxxxxx> wrote:
My friend and I received a threatening email from an anonymous yahoo account. We believe this may have come from one of my friend's coworkers because the header information was traced back as far as the IP address of the Cisco Pix firewall within my friend's company network. All emails I receive from my friend have the IP address of his computer within his network. Why is it that the anonymous email header doesn't tie me to a computer or work station just like my friend but only shows the IP of the firewall?