From: listbounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:listbounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Kenton Smith
Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 4:40 PM
To: WALI; security-basics@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Highlighting weak password dangers

Don't use something that actually tries to login to the account, that's
counter productive. Use something like John the Ripper that uses the SAM
database. Use a dictionary or hybrid attack and fill your custom
dictionary with all the passwords that aren't allowed based on your
password policy. You do have a password policy, right?

Searching for weak passwords should take no time at all. There is no
reason for using brute-force for policy compliance. As soon as you start
brute-forcing you are trying to hack user accounts and I suspect that
would be against your security policy.

Kenton