Re: Port 8081 mystery

Thanks guys...it's indeed the ePolicy orchestrator!!

Thanks for all the replies....

At 10:07 AM 1/24/2007 -0500, TheGesus wrote:
On 1/23/07, WALI <hkhasgiwale@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
HI list...

I ran a nmap scan on quite a few machines on my internal subnet and one
port that appears on all those scans, especially the machines that are
still running adequately patched but older Windows 2000 workstations, is
tcp 8081. Though nmap shows this as blackice-icecap port I do not find any
such application running in task manager neither is this installed.

nestat-a just lists this port as 'Listening' and does not list any
application name assigned to it, so why is this port there? Who is using
this? I have ran antivirus scan and spybot checker just to rule out any
malware possibilities.

Nessus Scan (tis weeks plugin feed) does not show this port listed amongst
any vulnerability.

Here is the nmap output:

SuSE101:/home/root # nmap -O 192.168.126.245 --osscan-guess
Starting Nmap 4.00 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2007-01-23 11:10 GST
Interesting ports on 192.168.126.245:
(The 1667 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
PORT STATE SERVICE
135/tcp open msrpc
139/tcp open netbios-ssn
445/tcp open microsoft-ds
2030/tcp open device2
8081/tcp open blackice-icecap
Device type: general purpose
Running: Microsoft Windows NT/2K/XP
OS details: Microsoft Windows 2000 SP4 or XP SP1

Nmap finished: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 1.107 seconds

Very likely it's McAfee's ePolicy Orchestrator (ePO) agent. Point a
browser at it (http://x.x.x.x:8081) and you should see the activity
log.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Random unprivileged TCP ports below 5000 kind-of open for a fraction of a second
    ... When Nmap (or many ... > other applications, such as Telnet) does a connectcall, the OS is ... > supposed to choose a good souce port to bind to for the connection. ... I saw a familiar "Connection reset by peer" every time the random port ...
    (Incidents)
  • Re: Yes, trying to hack a remote control
    ... I attempted a telnet into that port, and it asked for a username/pass, ... and then upload a modified firmware to the remote. ... The latest versions of nmap have a feature whereby you can run scans ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: how nmap can know my firewalled servers ?
    ... UDP or ICMP protocol), it will mark the port as closed. ... descrition, how NMAP determins, if the UDP port is open or closed. ... Try Webroot's Spy Sweeper Enterprisefor 30 days for FREE with no ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: FW: baby pen-test question
    ... I ALWAYS do an nmap sweep of varying degrees. ... As for testing a large network, I primarily base my efforts on the mission ... My first question is about port scanning. ... This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • Re: Help understanding NMAP results
    ... >to do with IT) but I have been playing with old computers and Linux in my ... and is set to default DROP any packets ... Went over to a friend's house, and ran an NMAP scan against myself ... You could listen on that port and see what traffic is passing when you ...
    (Security-Basics)