Re: Linux auditing checklist, documents

Gurpreet Singh wrote:
<snip>

Don't let system issue file to be displayed You should not display your system issue file when people log in remotely
. To do this, you can change the telnet option in your "/etc/inetd.conf".
To do this change the line in "/etc/inetd.conf":

telnet stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd in.telnetd
to look like:
telnet stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd in.telnetd -h Adding the "-h" flag on the end will cause the daemon to not display any
system information and just hit the user with a login: prompt. I will
recommend to use sshd instead.

<snip>
I find it ironic that in a discussion regarding linux security you mention having telnetd enabled. These days I'm sure most (all?) distro's ship with telnetd disabled, and IMHO that's the way it should stay.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: [SLE] Logon Banner (Change/Remove)
    ... >>I know that it can be done by editing a file, ... hamradio logins, ... You should not display your system issue file when people log in ... telnet stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd in.telnetd ...
    (SuSE)
  • [HPADM] [SUMMARY] Turn off Telnet and Rlogin
    ... telnet stream tcp nowait root /usr/lbin/telnetd ... Try the all-new Yahoo! ...
    (HP-UX-Admin)
  • Couldnt authenticate to server
    ... When i tried to rlogin i am getting following error: ... time stream tcp nowait root internal ... telnet stream tcp nowait root ...
    (comp.protocols.kerberos)
  • Re: want to put msg when user is denied login
    ... >> telnet, telling them that it is disabled for security reasons. ... telnet stream tcp nowait root /root/sbin/in.notelnetd ...
    (comp.security.unix)
  • Start telnet server help
    ... I've followed these steps to try to install telnet server but it doesn't ... telnet stream tcp nowait root ...
    (freebsd-questions)