Re: Usefulness AUP on an Anonymous Wireless Network.

See Metrofi's AUP:
http://www.metrofi.com/policies/policies.html
All they require to connect to teir network is that you enter email.
The email address doesn't even have to be real or even valid....

My thoughts:
Many of these kinds of cases are not black and white. What will
probably happen is that if Metrofi is notified by law enforcement
agency of possible abuse, they will sniff out the MAC address and
somehow try to locate the user (not too hard to do). Then law
enforcement agency will take over. But I higly doubt that Metrofi will
be held responsible for abuse of ther free wifi service.

Also see (you will find it useful):
http://info.sen.ca.gov/pub/bill/asm/ab_2401-2450/ab_2415_bill_20060821_amended_sen.html
wireless internet equipment to include guidance on keeping data secure
on wireless connections. The legislation acknowledges disagreement in
the US as to whether it is legal for someone to use another person's
unprotected Wi-Fi connection.

--
Saqib Ali, CISSP, ISSAP
http://www.full-disk-encryption.net