Re: HTTP allowed methods

On 9/21/06, Alcides <alcides.hercules@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi list,
Lately, I've conducted a nikto scan for our corporate IP addresses.
I found a few potential holes like :
+ Allowed HTTP Methods: GET, HEAD, POST, PUT, DELETE, TRACE, OPTIONS
+ HTTP method 'PUT' method may allow clients to save files on the web server.
+ HTTP method 'DELETE' may allow clients to remove files on the web server.
Now I wish to verify the above mensioned.
How can I go about?
I have tried grabbing banner using netcat and a file containing "GET /
HTTP /1.0"
How can I use netcat for PUT or DELETE?
And what other utilities can be used for this?
Thanking all.

Hi Alcides
I dont know howto do this with raw connection (netcat). Maybe you find
out by reading more about HTTP protocol
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypertext_Transfer_Protocol

Personnly I think on your webserver is WebDav enabled. You can try out
with WebDav client.

You can the PUT, DELETE and so on with "curl" (most Linux Distribution
provide a package).

For example: curl -v -X PUT ...

Nico