Re: Comptia Linux+, Security+

On 9/21/06, Michal Merta <michal.merta@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi list,

have any of you obtained $SUBJ certifications already?
I saw objectives and sample questions and it looks like pretty easy.
Is it usefull to have it or not?
Thanks, Michal

--
Michal Merta
Network Security Engineer

By reading your signature "network security engineer" I say its
absolutely useless to pay around 400$ for those foundation exams.
Nobody will give you a job as engineer because of CompTIA
certifications.

I took the Linux+ beta exam (disclaimer I work in UNIX/Linux
environment) and there were so silly simple questions. Mostly desktop
oriented.

Additionally I took the Security+ exam (disclaimer I don't work in
security field) and it was not very complicated. If you know a little
bit PKI (for example Open SSH) and some other foundation stuff it is
very easy to pass.

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The NSA has designated Norwich University a center of Academic Excellence in Information Security. Our program offers unparalleled Infosec management education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience. Using interactive e-Learning technology, you can earn this esteemed degree, without disrupting your career or home life.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus

  • Re: To go to University - For the CISSP etc. - Good idea/Bad idea???
    ... I'd be majoring in Security of course... ... I studied IT - Networking at Technical College, ... But yes, I do have all those certifications, the 3 Cisco ones I did at ... Prove to peers and potential employers without a doubt that you can actually do a proper penetration test. ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • Re: CEH program and Sybex Study Guide
    ... CEH program and Sybex Study Guide ... I am now focusing on security as my carrer. ... various certifications and the likes to plan out what I may consider ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: CISSP
    ... I really don't use Linux" from people that do security ... SecPros out there that use/code in Windows - most of the people that can ... certs REALLY helped me professionally, ... There are certifications and there are certifications. ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • Re: To go to University - For the CISSP etc. - Good idea/Bad idea???
    ... I'd be majoring in Security of course... ... I studied IT - Networking at Technical College, ... But yes, I do have all those certifications, the 3 Cisco ones I did at ... The main reasons I made this decision are; ...
    (Security-Basics)