Re: user default password checking tool

I hope that you changed the details of your real procedure for the post, i.e., that you don't exactly use default passwords of vs123. It's not safe to post details of your default password policy in a public forum. If your post details the exact way that default passwords are generated, I would suggest you change your policy. You don't want to give an attacker a head start!

My skills are for *NIX systems, so I'll let other people on the list respond with tools to solve your problem, though if you have skills with Perl, Ruby, Python, or whatever, it shouldn't be difficult to write a script that takes the user's name from a list, grabs the first letters, forces them to lowercase, appends '123' and does whatever Hashing/encrypting windows does to passwords, and finally looks for that entry in the password file/database/whatever. Depending on how paranoid you are, you might want to look into using John the ripper or other password cracking tools (look in the archives of this list, or Google for them) to make sure your users use reasonably strong passwords.

Daniel DeLeo