How to extract the firmware of my cellular ? (or embedded systems in general)

Hello !

I was wondering how to extract the firmware of a cellular in order to
study it... I read the paper about "Exploiting embedded systems", but
sincerely I didn't understand the part on which they extracted the
firmware. Moreover, it was performed on a router, not a cellular
(smaller device = harder ?). I remember that the THC group released
some [cellular] firmwares few months ago... How did they do ?

Thanks a lot for your replies
..
Norbert

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The NSA has designated Norwich University a center of Academic Excellence in Information Security. Our program offers unparalleled Infosec management education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience. Using interactive e-Learning technology, you can earn this esteemed degree, without disrupting your career or home life.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus

  • Re: How to extract the firmware of my cellular ? (or embedded systems in general)
    ... First, if you're going to involve the cellular, you'll need to reverse ... engineer by following all block to block, chip to chip... ... In order for you to take the 'firmware' out and read the codes as you ... EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Debian Small CD install "netinst.iso"
    ... Yes I understand how to extract files. ... do I unpack it to a folder on the USB drive? ... I just extracted all the files from the firmware zip file 'as a test' ... therefore both the netinst cd installer and the USB stick have to ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Filmware Installation
    ... Broadcom wireless chip needs software, called "firmware", that runs on ... To get such firmware on your system, you must download the ... driver from a legal distribution point, ... extract the firmware from that Broadcom driver by using b43-fwcutter ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: HTPCs and MythTV/Mythbuntu etc.
    ... extracted the firmware, but (for licensing reasons?) it had to ... extract it from the Windows driver. ... was lifted and the firmware became available as a download. ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)
  • Re: Does Fedora 7 support my wireless device?
    ... And if I go to the command line and try ifup eth1 then I get "bcm43xx ... > installed the package and then used it to extract the firmware from my ... > driver files for the XP with which I dual-boot. ...
    (Fedora)