Password Storage

Hi Everyone

What do people generally do in the case of password storage? For example, I strongly believe that storing passwords in documents is a terrible idea as I am sure you would agree.

However, how do you account for having multiple support staff, possibly working off site, most with extremely bad memories (unfortunately), and in need of high level rights to fix systems etc.

I also try to enforce that all actions are taken wtih the users own privileged account for auditing purposes but when building machines, installing software or troubleshooting problems, service accounts and administrations accounts may be required.

Or, is this problem more universal than I think and forcing people to not document passwords will be an interesting challenge?

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The NSA has designated Norwich University a center of Academic Excellence in Information Security. Our program offers unparalleled Infosec management education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience. Using interactive e-Learning technology, you can earn this esteemed degree, without disrupting your career or home life.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus

  • Re: Password Storage
    ... strongly believe that storing passwords in documents ... how do you account for having multiple ... Norwich University ... EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re[2]: lock down personal Win XP workstation
    ... Avoid nullsessions, make sure _every_ account is password protected, ... The NSA has designated Norwich University a center of Academic ... Excellence in Information Security. ... MK> EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Security procedure question
    ... I remember reading somewhere that one practice for having strong passwords ... EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE ... The NSA has designated Norwich University a center of Academic Excellence in Information Security. ... If this was indeed the case then ATM PIN codes would be written on the credit cards:) ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Password Cracking using Djohn
    ... > employees and we are moving over to user created passwords. ... EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE ... The NSA has designated Norwich University a center of Academic Excellence ... Our program offers unparalleled Infosec management education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Security procedure question
    ... It has no value in the modern world, but maybe if you wrote the passwords on $1000 bill maybe then. ... Ive lost three credit cards so far as well!!!! ... EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE ... The NSA has designated Norwich University a center of Academic Excellence in Information Security. ...
    (Security-Basics)