Re: Re: RE: ADS Password Storage Protection

Winshel;

Actually, a passphrase is not as secure as a random password. As you probably have heard, "Don't use dictionary words" over and over again. Even compound dictionary words are bad, ie: "firedogdalmation". Compounding dictionary words with spaces, punctuation, and even gramatically correct modifiers in between is really no different than without. It's a very simple substitution to try; "firedogdalmation" and then try "fire dog dalmation", "Fire Dog Dalmation", "Dalmation the Fire Dog", etc.

Using compound dictionary words could come back to bite you very quickly, even when used in long phrases.

Sincerely,

Eric Baechle, CISSP/ISSEP, etc.
Senior INFOSEC/OPSEC Engineer
Department of Homeland Security

Hacking, like any art, will take years of dedicated study and
practice to master. We can't teach you to hack. But we can teach you
what we've learned so far. Our courses are honest, real, technical
and practical. SensePost willl be at Black Hat Vegas in July. To see
what we're about, visit us at:

http://www.sensepost.com/training.html

  • RE: Seeking IDS Recommendations
    ... Since it isn't tied to traditional signature-based IDS, I've been able to leverage the system to perform other duties like tracking down p2p traffic and misconfigured equipment. ... that will require a sensor per shop - and we have 7 shops and growing. ... SensePost willl be at Black Hat Vegas in July. ... Hacking, like any art, will take years of dedicated study and practice to master. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • RE: network security, network in general PODcast?
    ... Cause I'm not a security expert neither and I can argu with him on the Call for help show sometime. ... Objet : Re: network security, network in general PODcast? ... practice to master. ... SensePost willl be at Black Hat Vegas in July. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Security Awareness
    ... As part of a voluntary act, I would like to give lectures on security awareness ... Hacking, like any art, will take years of dedicated study and practice to master. ... SensePost willl be at Black Hat Vegas in July. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: AW: Legendary Hacker Kevin Mitnick on malware and social engineering
    ... No looks like all the download links are similar to the one you posted. ... He does a thorough analysis of various techniques and methodologies for mitigating risk and locking down endpoints, while allowing users enough flexibility to perform their jobs. ... Hacking, like any art, will take years of dedicated study and practice to master. ... SensePost willl be at Black Hat Vegas in July. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • RE: Run As/Domain Login Windows XP Home
    ... EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE The NSA has ... education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting ... practice to master. ... SensePost willl be at Black Hat Vegas in July. ...
    (Security-Basics)