Wake-On-LAN security

I am currently on dialup and have the dialup gateway box connected to a switch via a WOL nic. The modem connects to the gateway box with a serial connection.

I am upgrading to ADSL and will have the ADSL initially, directly connected into the switch.

What command or procedure could be used by a hacker coming through my ADSL connection into the switch to wake up machines plugged into the switch that have Wake-On-LAN nics?

How could I prevent the machines from waking up, besides turning off the switch or unplugging the network cable?

Appreciated
Hylton

Hacking, like any art, will take years of dedicated study and practice to master. We can't teach you to hack. But we can teach you what we've learned so far. Our courses are honest, real, technical and practical. SensePost willl be at Black Hat Vegas in July. To see what we're about, visit us at:

http://www.sensepost.com/training.html

  • Re: Help with long term network problem
    ... Using a CNET network switch connected to a CNet Wireless G router Model ... Having the chart listing all of the computers is a great start. ... /all" shows only an Intel 2200BG WiFi connection - no Ethernet is apparent. ...
  • Re: Mystifying switch problem
    ... Losing the connection in the context of my post meant that the ... I bought a THIRD switch, this one a SOHO variety by D-Link, and ... IPs to all the devices on the network, ... more precise Network variables that stop function, on all computers. ...
  • RE: Protecting the enterprise wireless network
    ... They way we set a similar wifi network is using 2Wire wifi access points ... connected to a Foundry switch, ... connection, ... You probably have several Mbs in Internet access, ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Problems with a switch
    ... I work in a group with four people and we have one internet connection. ... So we bought a switch - however we have trouble ... of the computers 'look like' one computer to the ISP modem. ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: 2 Network Connections - How to Force Internet Explorer to use a Specific one
    ... a switch using ethernet. ... The current connection to the Internet is 64k ISDN. ... The next step would be to add USB based wireless adapters to ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)