Re: List of Full Disc Encryption products

On Wed, 5 Jul 2006 09:04:34 -0700, "Saqib Ali" <docbook.xml@xxxxxxxxx>
said:
With recent data thefts and government mandates, the importance of
full disc encryption is being realized. Encrypting individual files or
storing data in encrypted vaults does NOT meet the security
requirements anymore. Corporation and Government institution want the
whole HDD to be encrypted including the temporary files and swap

When are people going to stop learning the *wrong* lesson every time
some incident like this happens? The answer is *not* encryption.
Given physical access to a machine, even with full disk encryption,
I do not trust that the data cannot be retrieved somehow.
The real answer is sensitive data should not ever ever ever be on
a machine that is not fully physically secure all the time.
I'm tired of these nonsense disk encryption discussions.
Disk encryption is *not* mature technology, no matter what
some vendor might tell you. It puts your data at risk and gives
you a false sense of security.
If some disk encryption 'experts', disagree, then flame on.
I'll stick with physical security.
--
Eric Furman
ericfurman@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Hacking, like any art, will take years of dedicated study and
practice to master. We can't teach you to hack. But we can teach you
what we've learned so far. Our courses are honest, real, technical
and practical. SensePost willl be at Black Hat Vegas in July. To see
what we're about, visit us at:

http://www.sensepost.com/training.html

  • CryptoSurvey -- Results ..
    ... Many same or similar behavioral barriers for the ... effective utilization of many security solutions still exist limiting ... applications of encryption technologies currently in commercial ... Many people do not care about cryptography and/or security products ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • CryptoSurvey -- Results ..
    ... Many same or similar behavioral barriers for the ... effective utilization of many security solutions still exist limiting ... applications of encryption technologies currently in commercial ... Many people do not care about cryptography and/or security products ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: OT - Kuwait
    ... > One place where I agree with you is that the scope of government intrusion ... > into the private matters of Americans is much greater than most Americans ... >>> strict security procedures to prevent unauthorized release of the keys. ... >> Feds Want to Control Encryption ...
    (alt.sports.football.pro.ne-patriots)
  • Re: OT - Kuwait
    ... Making the case for encryption standards that would allow the Feds to ... One place where I agree with you is that the scope of government intrusion ... into the private matters of Americans is much greater than most Americans ... >> strict security procedures to prevent unauthorized release of the keys. ...
    (alt.sports.football.pro.ne-patriots)
  • Re: National Security Backdoor in telnetd - all versions.
    ... >>against the Secret Service for their violations of civil rights. ... encryption techniques to protect critical resources. ... plants have absolutely horrid security resulting from these stupidities. ... Of course I doubt you have an NDA with the government - so ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)