Re: need to wipe a NAS and be DoD compliant

---- Gethin Jones <gethinj@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Nuke it.

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

suttonp@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Need assistance locating a DoD compliant solution for wiping info from a NAS device. Any suggestions?

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The NSA has designated Norwich University a center of Academic Excellence
in Information Security. Our program offers unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Using interactive e-Learning technology, you can earn this esteemed degree,
without disrupting your career or home life.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus

Depending on the type of NAS, using utilities not supported by the vendor could damage the device and void your support. I would contact the vendor and see if they have tools for secure wiping of disks. Depending on what kind of data was written to the device, destroying the disks could be the only option (Top Secret).