From: Davie Elliott - Eluse [mailto:delliott@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Sunday, May 21, 2006 8:27 AM
To: security-basics@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: MS Audit logs

Hi everyone,

I'm a bit of a newbie administrator, and I have a quick question about
Microsoft windows audit logs.

Right now I have ticked every audit option in the main GPO, so I get
tons of
audit objects to trawl through every week.
I was reading somewhere that MS Audit logs cycle or something so after
24
hours I have lost some audit objects.
Also, I don't really know what I'm looking for in the audits logs
anyway...
except for maybe checking if some users accounts have been used when
they
shouldn't have.

Anyways, I was wondering what software would be good for managing the
audit
logs?... I think I read a blog from an MS employee saying someone should
use
3rd party software for managing the audit logs instead of the built-in
windows thing.

Thanks for your help,

Davie.