Sniffing A VPN Router

Hello and good day,

I have a Linksys RV016 VPN Router which I am trying to sniff. I would
like to see all of the traffic using Ethereal (or a similar program),
but right now I can only see Broadcast and Multicast traffic, as well
as Unicast to and from my local machine. I have tried plugging into
the uplink port which I hear sometimes works, but does not in this
case. Also, this router has no options to mirror or span ports, which
I guess would have been another solution. Other than replacing this
router with a hub (possible since it is for a dedicated LAN, i.e. no
WAN connection), is there a way for me to sniff all traffic directed
over all ports of this router? Is there a way I can do it with VLANs?
Is there a tool better than Ethereal or one designed for this purpose?

Thank you for your time!

- Jason

Relevant Pages

  • Re: remote DNS queries in ssh tunnel
    ... Before your traffic leaves via the modem your lan you have a router in ... so you can either sniff the traffic befor it leaves the ... dns example you should then see your client IP is sending a dns query to ... comes through localhost and tries to reach localhost:53. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: remote DNS queries in ssh tunnel
    ... Before your traffic leaves via the modem your lan you have a router in ... so you can either sniff the traffic befor it leaves the ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • RE: Sniffing A VPN Router
    ... Research sniffing on a switched network and check out tools like dsniff ... I have a Linksys RV016 VPN Router which I am trying to sniff. ... over all ports of this router? ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Sniffing on switched networks.
    ... If you wanna sniff on a switched network just install Cin n Able and then ... the gateway (router) then used Iris to sniff myself, ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Sniffing A VPN Router