Re: Secure installation of Windows XP?

"How do you define an unnecessary service?"
A service that, when I turn it off, my XP box take more security or
better performance without affect the system's stability.

"Does a list and definition of the services exist?" First link seems to be nice.
http://www.google.com.ar/search?hl=es&q=xp+services+list&btnG=B%C3%BAsqueda+en+Google&meta=

:) I also recomend:

http://force.coresecurity.com / http://www.whatsrunning.net
http://browsertools.net/IE-Privacy-Keeper/index.html / http://www.tune-up.com

"ordinary users" are not admins, watch out...
just give to them only Guest -ordinary- account ;)

Carlos Tori - Argentina
www.nnlnews.com
PGP ID 0x7F81D818

----- Original Message ----- From: "Yousef Syed" <yousef.syed@xxxxxxxxx>

How do you define an unnecessary service?
XP ships with all sorts of services running by default. Most ordinary users
haven't a clue what half of these services do. Nor do they know if they
disable a few of them what effect they'll have on their system.
Does a list and definition of the services exist?

Thanx,
ys

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Yet another problem with opening the same file twice
    ... engineering issue rather than a security issue. ... getting tired of explaining why test as a program does not work as expected. ... The ordinary users appear to have gotten sideswiped. ... That seems slighty backwards. ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Login to a locaked account
    ... I want to configure a LOGIN ID in such a way that the account ... should be locked and also ordinary users should be able to do "su" into that ... Sridhara ...
    (SunManagers)