To: <security-basics@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, April 29, 2006 7:15 PM
Subject: Secure installation of Windows XP?

Hi,

I hear stories of how a new Windows XP system is infected within minutes. So I wonder, what is the procedure to install Windows XP in a safe way?

PS : In case there are any other Danes on the list, I posted a similar question on a Danish security newsgroup, but I got very conflicting responses, so I just want to know the opinion of this list.

Don't leave your confidential company and customer records un-protected. Try Webroot's Spy Sweeper Enterprise(TM) for 30 days for FREE with no obligation. See why so many companies trust Spy Sweeper Enterprise to eradicate spyware from their networks.
FREE 30-Day Trial of Spy Sweeper Enterprise

http://www.webroot.com/forms/enterprise_lead.php

  • Re: P4C800-DELUXE XP Install Problems --- Hanging
    ... Windows Install Guide by Mr Steveo from ABX Zone Website. ... Additionally, if you have a Springdale or Canterwood chipset motherboard, ... Install chipset INFs before any video or sound drivers. ...
    (alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus)
  • Re: Checking for the latest updates....
    ... It's a good idea to install them now and then check again, ... Microsoft Windows XP ... Windows XP Service Pack 1 ... Security Update for Windows XP ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • RE: updates after format
    ... if the Microsoft Server is down. ... software you are installing has not passed Windows Logo testing verify its ... When you try to download an ActiveX control, install an update to Windows ... and you do not have the appropriate certificate in your Trusted Publishers ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: Universal sound card?
    ... Decided to install within windows on a laptop. ... linux is not working, they just want it to work. ... Copied the cd to the hard drive and tried to install from there. ... computers that only had floppy drives, have you running all processes with ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: Files Gone???
    ... Cannot Open E-Mail Attachments in Outlook Express After You Install SP1 ... Turn off email scanning in your antivirus software. ... Windows 2000 and Windows XP. ... Windows XP Service Pack 2 Resources for IT Professionals ...