Re: how nmap can know my firewalled servers ?

Hi

you are scanning your machine from the "inside". block localhost with iptables
(i dont know if that is possible).
if you want to know which ports are really reachable from the internet you
have to run nmap from another machine and scan over the internet by entering
the IP of your machine. (e.g. 87.133.35.76).

I am assuming you are using a DROP rule on your firewall. NMAP knows
that if it does not receive a response for a TCP connection then it is
firewalled. Dropping traffic at a firewall violates RFC and makes it
much easier to know when there is a firewall between the scanner and the
end host. I recommend using REJECT

-A INPUT -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-host-unreachable

That will conform to RFC (I'm pretty sure) and will make it harder to
detect a firewall with NMAP.

True, I am using DROP state on my iptables, but even when I changed
the state of my firewall to "REJECT --reject-with
icmp-host-unreachable" - nmap _still_ knows that my services are
running (telnet) and are filtered !

linux:/ # iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 23 -j REJECT --reject-with
icmp-host-unreachable
linux:/ # nmap localhost

Starting nmap 3.81 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2006-04-13 12:59
GMT+2 Interesting ports on localhost (127.0.0.1):
(The 1648 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
PORT STATE SERVICE
22/tcp open ssh
23/tcp filtered telnet

linux:/ # iptables -L
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination
REJECT tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp
dpt:telnet reject-with icmp-host-unreachable

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination

So how do I fool nmap that my service is really down ?