From: Dan Denton [mailto:ddenton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2006 7:31 AM
To: security-basics@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Sorbs.net DNS Blacklist

Does anyone on the list have any prior experience with the folks at
sorbs.net? For the past few weeks a customer who uses a blacklist
supplied by them has had our emails blocked. Previous to this the
company had no problem getting our emails. People at said company want
to receive our emails and are frustrated that they can't receive them
(important stuff like invoices and statements), but their IT admin says
he has no control over the list itself.

I went to sorbs.net, checked our status using one of their utilities,
and the IP of our mail server shows up on their list. I've even sent in
a request to be removed from the list and have received a ticket number.
In their procedures for delisting, they claim that you must "donate" $50
per email they supposedly received in their spam traps, and the
donations are to be made to 2 charities of their choice. I for one think
this is extortion, regardless of whether the intention is to stop
spammers.

Any background or experience you can share would be appreciated. Thanks
in advance...

Dan Denton

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree
customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning,

Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus

Joseph Renda <Joseph@xxxxxxxx>

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree
customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning,
Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus

  • Re: University Degree or CISSP
    ... Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree ... Planning, Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations. ... The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Signing up for spam?
    ... The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management ... education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience. ... Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • RE: University Degree or CISSP
    ... dropped out so I don't have to work hard, study, get a solid education. ... > Planning, Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations. ... > The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management ... > education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience. ...