From: gigabit@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:gigabit@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, February 18, 2006 4:31 AM
To: security-basics@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Down with DHCP!!!!

ok, some background...

i have transfered from network engineering to the information security
group for my company, which is mid-sized with about 2000 employees
across 90 locations (financial).

the lessons learned from being in network engineering is that they are
first and foremost concerned with maintaining the production
environment. the management processes/procedures are completely
disregarded if it is deemed necessary to "get something done".

as i try to build out a security plan for how to deal with
servers/routers/end users, i keep coming to the conclusion that it will
be meaningless unless control can be taken over what the other
department is doing (network engineering). the one commonality for all
devices on the network is that they have an IP address.

i would like to propose to management that dhcp should be disabled, so
as to force the building of a database that will hold all of the
information needed to begin a comprehensive security policy. the
security group would manage the database to ensure that we are
collecting information (such as O/S, IOS version, anti-virus
compliance...)

i realize this will incur more work for those poor souls that have to
deploy hardware, but i believe the benefits out-weigh the costs. the
benefits i see:

1. once a branch location is staticly addressed, we have a working
inventory of what is out there.

2. a more secure environment. no longer can users bring in non-
company owned devices and place them on our production network (which
is already a policy---that isn't policed).

3. i can setup automated scripts that check MAC addresses to IP
addresses on the router ARP tables to check for spoofing.

our branch locations don't change very often.....some are still on
token ring for god's sake, so i don't really see that much more
workload.

Has anyone else dropped DHCP as a management/compliance decision?

thanks.

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree
customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning,

Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree
customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning,
Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus

  • RE: Down with DHCP!!!!
    ... Managing/monitoring the DHCP pools as assignments yourself ... -Other management tools as in Asset ... Security Administrator ... Network Operations-ICW Group ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • RE: security not a big priority?
    ... But I have found that upper management will only ... and push out the changes; management has to have this information to ... Network Security Engineer ... Network team with Project Management tasks. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Down with DHCP!!!!
    ... "You are trying to use DHCP to fix a management problem". ... then allows for the beginings of security. ... The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management ... Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Down with DHCP!!!!
    ... going to staic IP's would be a management nightmare ... (speaking as someone who managed a static IP network ... Security is always a compromise; ... Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Log management software for Windows
    ... Log management software for Windows ... I want to retain security and event log data on a Windows machine that is ... for example: the IDS log from my firewall. ... Better Management for Network Security ...
    (Security-Basics)