Re: Linux basic authentication?

redcowboy@xxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi, All.
I'm studying linux security.
I have two question. First of all, I heard Kerberos is window basic
authentication protocol. then, what's linux(or Unix) basic authentication
if is it there, could you explain how does it work or
Seconds, How could I understand Linux security
I'd ask some advices or recommends.
Thanks a lot. Have a great day!

Greg: Look into PAM - pluggable authentication modules:

With PAM, you can use kerberos, radius, tacacs+ or other authentication
protocols that can point to various authentication mechanisms for
different services. We have used PAM + tacacs+/radius to authenticate
users from webmail, vpn, and login using two-factor authentication. So,
each service (sshd, su, imapproxy, login) can be set to use an
authentication protocol (kerberos, tacacs, radius, etc) to point to
different authentication servers (passwd, kerveros, or in our case,

Nick Owen
WiKID Systems, Inc.
404.962.8983 (desk)
404.542.9453 (cell)
At last, two-factor authentication, without the hassle factor
Now open source:

The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree
customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning,
Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.

Relevant Pages

  • Windows 2003 domain authentication protocols
    ... Your description of the Kerberos authentication exchange ... Domain, NTLM is the authentication protocol used, as ... The TGS then issues a service ticket ...
  • Re: A generic kerberizing project
    ... I'm not planning to use Kerberos solely to secure ... application-level authentication protocol; the solution proposed would ...
  • Re: IIS 6.0
    ... The configuration of the virtual directory determines what authentication ... negotiated between the client and server -- so for troubleshooting purposes, ... Once you are certain of the authentication protocol in use when you get the ... Previous versions of IIS had an "allow IIS to control anonymous ...
  • Re: No ADSI authentication support in IIS?
    ... I meant Active Directory authentication. ... requires Kerberos but it looks like it. ... > Integrated Windows authentication can use both the Kerberos v5 ... > authentication protocol and its own challenge/response authentication ...
  • Re: Petrol Station rip off
    ... I understand that there is a complex authentication and ... Authentication Protocol is the encryption protocol that ... Authentication Protocol. ... Smart Card business. ...