From: Vladimir B. Kropotov [mailto:slyman2000@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 2 February 2006 5:49
To: security-basics@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: MS in information security

Hi all.

byc> I noticed that the question of 'CISSP or degree' got a lot of
byc> feedbacks and comments. I am also considering more education in
byc> order to enter security field. I already have BS degree from good
byc> school and working for a IT company working with various
byc> applications. However, I have always wanted to be a little bit
byc> more technical and be exposed to more research-like environment.
byc> Not sure if I want Ph.D., but definitely looking at one of those MS
byc> in information security. Georgia Tech and several other reputable
byc> universities offer such program.

In russia we have more than 10 years experience in Information Security education. The only one Real security - good and strong cryptography.
Any other things - it's just additional measures.
Long time ago, when i was freshman in the university - i had to disagree with our Gurus but now 9 years left and I absolutelly agree with them. So if you wanna be in 'real' security - you must have good math base - it's not possible to get it in two yaers. I have 4.5 years of math in university and it isn't enough. I'm learning math 4 years after graduation, but it isn't enough. I think 10-12 years of continuous math learning is enough ;-).

If you want became security folk - University is a good start :-)

But the only university degree - is NOT A SILVER BULLET!!!

Good luck
Vladimir B. Kropotov
Bauman university
Moscow
byc> After working almost 2 years in industry, I know that experience is
byc> really important and that I can acquire the knowledge myself
byc> through many sources although I don't go back to school to do it.
byc> On the other hand, the idea of getting higher or specialized
byc> education and degree is really appealing. Also, since my current
byc> work does not have anything to do with security, getting more
byc> education might offer me a better chance of getting in to security
byc> field than studying on my own, getting some certs and try to
byc> convince companies to believe that I know about security.

byc> Any opinions welcome

byc> -------------------------------------------------------------------
byc> -------- EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
byc> The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec
byc> management education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
byc> Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree
byc> customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity
byc> Planning, Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.

byc> http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus
byc> -------------------------------------------------------------------
byc> --------

--
С уважением,
Vladimir mailto:slyman2000@xxxxxxx

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree
customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning,
Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus

Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation in respect of matters arising within those States and Territories of Australia where such legislation exists.

DISCLAIMER
The information contained in this email and any attachments is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use or disclose the information. If you have received this email in error, please inform us promptly by reply email or by telephoning +61 2 9286 5555. Please delete the email and destroy any printed copy.

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender. You may not rely on this message as advice unless it has been electronically signed by a Partner of BDO or it is subsequently confirmed by letter or fax signed by a Partner of BDO.

BDO accepts no liability for any damage caused by this email or its attachments due to viruses, interference, interception, corruption or unauthorised access.

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree
customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning,
Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus

  • Re[2]: MS in information security
    ... CW> Security is not just about crypto. ... byc>> feedbacks and comments. ... CW> Information Security education. ... CW> The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: MS in information security
    ... byc> of feedbacks and comments. ... I am also considering more education ... byc> in order to enter security field. ... byc> Computer Emergency Response Teams, ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • RE: Designing Network Security
    ... But as Tom said, production environment is quite "serious", and if you cannot bring someone in to help, at least perform a security audit from the outside ... ... The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management ... Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree ... Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: RE: MS in information security
    ... I'm studying MITS (Master of Information Technology Security). ... Classical Cryptography doesn't guarantee any security for ever. ... education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience. ... Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • RE: Need for recommendation for setting up a virtual lab
    ... The VMware product is an excellent tool for testing security exploits. ... The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management ... Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree ... Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations. ...
    (Security-Basics)