RE: University Degree or CISSP

Toby - this is part of the problem with many techie arguments, Bill Gates
dropped out so I don't have to work hard, study, get a solid education. No,
I can take a one week bootcamp and get certified and do the job.

Security work requires a great deal of technical knowledge as well as solid
understanding of the business itself.

American's will continue to see their jobs outsourced as long as the drive
to under-education and shortcutting the pursuit of knowledge, which is very
hard work, continues.

If one looks at any serious study on lifetime earnings, there is
overwhelming data that shows a substantial and sustained growth in earnings
resulting from college and post graduate degrees.

The paper is the symbol - it's the education that counts and just as
desecrating the flag takes on importance because of the symbol and not the
cotton or nylon fabric, discussions that suggest that degrees don't matter
get confused as education doesn't matter.

Our original question of CISSP or Degree shouldn't be based on anecdotal
experiences with PhD or CISSPs but rather on the well documented fact that a
degree in this economy matters more than ever and we do a terrible
disservice to young professionals to every suggest that certification can be
construed to substitute for an advanced education.

I stand behind the argument that there is absolutely no comparison between
an honest degree (not those I'm offered by the hundreds every day online)
and a certification.