From: security-basics-return-37793-Chuck.Meredith=hrd.state.ma.us@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:security-basics-return-37793-Chuck.Meredith=hrd.state.ma.us@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of List Spam
Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 10:08 AM
To: security-basics@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Windows Log

There are many types of logins that can be performed in an an AD environment. Among these are full desktop logins by a user (aka interactive login), non-interactive network logins (e.g. mount a share), computer accounts authenticating to the domain, etc.

I would venture a guess that you don't want to disallow the ability to log other security events, but want to easily find login events of some type (see above) without having to wade through the full set of logged data. If this is the case, you could simply filter the logs to show the event id that is specific to the action you are looking to see.

You could use the built-in "Event Viewer" application for it, EventCombMT (Google it), one of the resource kit log dumping utilitities, VBScripts, or just about anything else to export this info. Some VBScript examples are below:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/scripts/logs/eventlog/default.mspx

I dare say that if you're trying to audit security on a box, you don't want to hack up the data collection facility, but want to simply get better use from that data.

My two cetns.

On 1/16/06, Rod <rod.rio@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a Win2k Server, who is my Domain Controller, and I'd like it to
> log only the LOGON/LOGOFF events. I know that there are a whole class
> of logon/logoff events, but I´d like to log only when a user logon
> into a machine in the domain.
>
> Hope I was clear... thx
>

> --
> Rodrigo M. T. Fernandez
> Departamento de Ciência da Computação UFRJ Grupo de Respostas a
> Incidentes de Segurança - GRIS UFRJ www.dcc.ufrj.br |
> www.gris.dcc.ufrj.br

> ----- EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE The
> Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management
> education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
> Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree
> customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity
> Planning, Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.
>
> http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus
> ------

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning, Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree
customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning,
Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus

  • RE: Windows Log
    ... > EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE ... > The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management ... > education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience. ... > Computer Emergency Response Teams, ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • RE: Re: University Degree or CISSP
    ... Subject: Re: Re: University Degree or CISSP ... > And a college education will benefit you until the day you die. ... >> Planning, Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations. ... >> The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Securing Blackberries
    ... > EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE ... > The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management ... > Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree ... > Computer Emergency Response Teams, ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Windows Log
    ... >> EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE ... >> The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management ... >> education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience. ... >> Computer Emergency Response Teams, ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • New Tool: Firewall Test Agent V1.0
    ... The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management ... education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience. ... customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning, ... Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations. ...
    (Security-Basics)