Re: stick a laptop to a LAN

Hi, Steven,
how could I be sure that the laptop will ONLY be able to connect to
our LAN and not any other.
Thanks for any help or hints.

well, there are many possibilities to achieve that. Just some thoughts:

1) my personal favorite (perhaps I'm a little bit prejudiced):
Install a HIPS like the Cisco Security Agent. There you can specify "Security-Conditions". For example: If the CSA-Management-Center is reachable and the PC is in your Network, then apply "normal" security. If the CSA-Management-Center is *not* reachable and the PC is in a different network, then apply a Network lockdown.

2) (I assume you are using Windows)
Configure a hardware-profile with disabled NIC and use this profile when you are abroad.

3) If someone "untrusted" is using the laptop you could plug a RJ45-Lock into the Ethernet-connector of the PC.

regards, Karsten Iwen

--
Karsten Iwen
Network- and Security Consultant/Trainer

CCIE #14602 (Security)
CCSI, CCSP, CCIP, CCNP, CCDA
MCSE: Security

http://www.iwen.de

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience. Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning, Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus

  • PC Anywhere and security
    ... Can a PC Anywhere connection give them access to our network even if the user credential limits the rights to specific directories on his machine ??? ... The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience. ... Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning, Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Designing Network Security
    ... We need to redesign the network and the focus will be on protecting the network from ... Have to concentrate on protecting the IP also since we are a R&D center. ... The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience. ... Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning, Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Bandwidth monitor/management
    ... It takes some time to get configured for your network, but does layer-7 inspection and can monitor AND throttle the flows accordingly. ... This was because the needs of the .edu network, the edge firewall only blocked very certain things, instead of "block all/allow some", but the benefit of that firewall was to allow block the garbage before it got to the packeteer. ... The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience. ... Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning, Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations. ...
    (Security-Basics)