VMWare & WinXP

From: Jason T. Hallahan (jthallah_at_gmail.com)
Date: 11/28/05

    Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 14:36:16 -0500
    To: security-basics@securityfocus.com

    Hello and good day,

    I recently purchased a laptop from Dell with Win XP Professional on it
    for the purpose of setting up a VMWare virtual network for
    honeypot/pen-testing purposes. However, when I go to install my new
    copy of XP (which is the host OS of my box) in a virtual machine, it
    won't activate. I tried calling Microsoft and going through the
    automated process on the phone, but it says my installation is
    invalid. Is there any way around this (I am not trying to cheat
    Microsoft here) or any way to speak to a Microsoft representation to
    explain my situation? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Thank you and best regards!

    - Jason