Re: secure disposal of backup tapes

From: Jacob Bresciani (jacob_at_bresciani.ca)
Date: 11/24/05

    Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 11:25:35 -0800
    To: security-basics@securityfocus.com

    On Nov 23, 2005, at 7:01 PM, Aditya Deshmukh wrote:

    >> Hi I wanted to get some ideas from everyone for secure disposal of
    >> DDS/TRAVAN/DLT backup tapes.
    >
    > Using a hammer on them then cutting the tapes up with sissors....
    >
    > What is the security level of data that was on them ?
    > Maybe just a plain write with multiple patterns and
    > putting them up on eBay might be enough

    I've been told a cloths iron can be used to "flatten" the tape back
    out, and then spooled onto a new reel.

    Some tape (the sticky kind) can be used to reconstruct cut tape,
    although this would be a long, tedious job as you can imagine, but it
    is doable.

    A web site exists out there somewhere (can't find the link at the
    moment) that explains how to do the above things quite simply.

    Selling used tapes on eBay would probably get most companies in
    trouble if the contents of the tapes are sensitive enough to warrant
    an e-mail to a list.

    >> How do you burn yours?
    > Please do *not* burn them they might be toxic

    If they must be burned, there must be someone with a proper
    incinerator (rather then a bonfire) that could be used/rented so that
    it can be done in a relatively sage manner. Although I'm sure
    environmentalist would strongly disapprove of this plan.

    > __
    > Delivered using the Free Personal Edition of Mailtraq
    > (www.mailtraq.com)

    • RE: secure disposal of backup tapes
      ... Using a hammer on them then cutting the tapes up with sissors.... ... Delivered using the Free Personal Edition of Mailtraq ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: pricing of tapes
      ... 4mm DAT and Exabyte 8mm tapes typically cost about ... from a reseller, but $4 or less on eBay. ... One risk with used helical scan drives is that they probably have _not_ been ...
      (comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware)
    • pricing of tapes
      ... What affects the price of tapes on eBay? ... from a reseller, but $4 or less on eBay. ... I have an Exabyte 8200 which just started ...
      (comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware)
    • Re: Anyone want to buy some shrink wrapped Tom Baker Dr. Who episodes on VHS ?
      ... I'll be selling these on US Ebay in the next couple of days. ... I will sell these VHS tapes for $6 each or $15 for all three. ... "Anyone want to buy some shrink wrapped Tom Baker?" ... extra slrn documentation: http://slrn-doc.sourceforge.net/ ...
      (rec.arts.drwho)
    • Re: pricing of tapes
      ... > What affects the price of tapes on eBay? ... Are you using the backup program that comes with Winnt? ... I'm ready to give up on high capacity DAT changers and go to DLT ...
      (comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware)