Re: secure disposal of backup tapes

From: Saqib Ali (docbook.xml_at_gmail.com)
Date: 11/23/05

    Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 09:58:53 -0800
    To: "John R. Dennison" <jrd@gerdesas.com>

    > Depending upon the local I would tend to think that destruction
    > by fire would be against local codes due to the materials involved.
    >
    > Would not a strong magnetic source work instead?

    Using a magnetic source is degaussing, which results in Data Remnance.
    For "Secret" and "Top Secret" classification level Media Destruction
    is required. Desgaussing will not work for these classification
    levels.

    For "Confidential", destruction is preferred, but degaussing is
    allowed. (I think).

    --
    In Peace,
    Saqib Ali