Re: Why NOT to disable Real Time Antivirus on Servers

tombrown_at_yahoo.com
Date: 11/02/05

    Date: 2 Nov 2005 21:57:15 -0000
    To: security-basics@securityfocus.com

    ('binary' encoding is not supported, stored as-is) Well first of all, I would beg to find out how big of a performance hit this really is. If it's that bad then someone should be looking at new hardware. You might be good to find some stats on overhead from your AV vendor.

    On the specific topic of security...surrounding the Exchange server. I agree the AV should be on everything but you'd be surprised so don't feel too alone. I wouldn't be as concerned about no AV on the actual Exchange server as I would be on the actual mail that is going through the Exchange server, I presume that is on?

    I think this type of thinking started when most all viruses were via email. Meaning that people didn't check email on servers so they didn't think they needed AV. Now it's very obvious with all of the worms/viruses that spread on thier own.

    If you don't have much network segmentation or controls between the servers and the users that also increases the risk.

    Not solving your problem but some things to think about. Good luck...th

    • Re: advice on tuning sol8 nfs servers
      ... > I work for a very large US financial services firm, ... > noticed a huge performance hit when accessing our NFS volumes. ... Our clients mount from the NFS servers using the logical names, ...
      (comp.sys.sun.admin)
    • Re: german umlauts with e-mail after installing new system
      ... On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 15:25 +0200, Alexander Apprich wrote: ... Normally servers communicate the encoding they send pages in to web- ... with modern RH/FC systems all you want use is "utf8" ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Passing a url with blank spaces...
      ... just saw a lot of servers encode space as '+', ... a google search for "url encoding" ... Oliver ...
      (comp.lang.java.programmer)
    • Re: Why NOT to disable Real Time Antivirus on Servers
      ... > An Engineer and I are having an argument about keeping Real Time Antivirus disabled on servers. ... > His point is keeping Real Time Antivirus Enabled on servers such as the Exchange Server takes a huge performance hit on the server. ... > He argues that since all of the workstations have the antivirus enabled, then there is no way for the virus to get in. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: [ckpatch][15/29] hz-no_default_250.patch
      ... 100 HZ is a typical choice for servers, ... I use this value on servers because it provides slightly ... not notice any performance hit between 100 and 250 Hz, ...
      (Linux-Kernel)