Re: Good Wireless Firewall/Router?

From: Austin Murkland (amurkland_at_merydion.com)
Date: 10/18/05

    Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 13:42:16 -0700
    To: astalavista.box.sk@gmail.com

    I know that linksys routers with upgraded firmware support a feature
    similar to this that puts the wireless clients each on their own
    separate vlan, so they not only don't see the wired interfaces...they
    don't see each other either...i believe linksys supports a feature that
    bars wireless for wired, but am unsure about others.

    astalavista.box.sk@gmail.com wrote:
    > This is for a home implementation...
    >
    > My goal is to allow wireless LAN users that connect to an AP to go out to the internet but have no ability at all to connect to any of the servers plugged into the wired ports on the AP/Router. What is the cheapest way to get this done with hardware?
    >
    > I am thinking I either need a lniksys type wireless router that supports ACLs between wireless and wired or just allows me to put ACLs on ports
    >
    > Or some small linksys type router/AP that can treat wireless users as though they are in a DMZ (allow only outbound while allowing internal hosts outbound and to DMZ)
    >
    > I dont have a spare PC lying around that is quiet enough for me to want it in my room running 24x7 or I would just do some sort of linux FW...and a netscreen or 506 are gonna be too $$$$ so I am hoping linksys or netgear or someone offers this....any ideas?

    • Re: Are router CDs useless to techies, but Wireless adaptor CDs useful ?
      ... wireless adaptors, and CDs for routers. ... users to configure their routers with a wizard.. ... People recommend linksys but I and my techie friends have all had bad ...
      (uk.comp.homebuilt)
    • Re: Law firm drops porn granny suit
      ... We stayed with hardwired routers until recently precisely to avoid security issues. ... BTW, if anyone is looking for a wireless router I can recommend Apple's Airport Extreme, setup was fast and easy--the exact opposite of our experience with routers from Linksys and D-Link (which required hours on the phone to someone in India ... You downloaded thousands of images at 11:30 last night," the man's lawyer, Barry Covert, recounted the agents saying. ... For some, though, leaving their wireless router open to outside use is a philosophical decision, a way of returning the favor for the times they've hopped on to someone else's network to check e-mail or download directions while away from home. ...
      (rec.music.gdead)
    • Re: router for firewall on home PC?
      ... > I wonder how widespread this Linksys SPI issue is? ... I have a somewhat similar router without the wireless AP ... > is limited to their routers that have wireless AP functionality. ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Bridge Problem with 2 wifi ap
      ... i have 2 wired network and i want to connect them wirelessly the ... used the same name for them too.Now when i search for wireless ... now the adsl routers i am using to test this connection is linksys ...
      (alt.internet.wireless)
    • RE: Wireless access
      ... if not all wireless access points and/or routers will have ... do any wireless routers contain tools so ... to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. ... Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of ...
      (Security-Basics)