Re: Change MTU settings on Solaris 5.9

From: Cory Stoker (cory_at_clearnetsec.com)
Date: 10/13/05

    Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 18:02:48 -0600
    To: hpalmer@comsquared.com, security-basics@securityfocus.com

    I think this is what you need but I did not verify it on my Solaris
    box beforehand:

    disable PMTUD:
    # ndd -set /dev/ip ip_path_mtu_discovery 0

    set maximum MSS to 1460:
    # ndd -set /dev/tcp tcp_mss_max 1460

    You can enumerate the options to change by using ndd as well.

    $ man ndd

    ---
    Cory Stoker
    ClearNet Security
    On Oct 12, 2005, at 10:28 AM, hpalmer@comsquared.com wrote:
    > Recently a customer of ours has been having an issue w/ remote
    > login from multiple customers on there network.  Our company
    > installed, configured and setup A Sun Fire V250. The issue, there
    > NetAdmin states, "Our customers are not able to login to your /our
    > Sun Box because the MTU is at the default setting of 1500 and needs
    > to be 1480 or 1460."  This  I (System Database Admin) believe is
    > totally wrong.  But to prove a point I would like to check the
    > current settings and make changes if needed.
    > I read some where before that the changes could be made in /etc/
    > networks/interfaces, but not able to locate that directory...
    >
    > any suggestions?
    >
    > Do or do not, there is no try. -Yoda.

    • JOBS: Sr. Embedded Software Developer Openings- F/T - Austin, TX
      ... Write device drivers for network interface and other proprietary ... Embedded Software Applications Engineer- Consumer Audio Decoder Software Dev ... sessions to customers and distributor field application engineers. ... PDA) and help with software development required to ...
      (comp.arch.embedded)
    • Re: [Full-Disclosure] MS Anti Virus?
      ... customers about security, ... protect our customers'. ... seemingly relieve Microsoft of any such responsibility, ... means their network connection gets hosed or their OS is rendered ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • Re: 71% Say Finding New Energy Sources More Important than Conservation
      ... The argument of the techies is that the network providers should compete on the basis of providing low cost, ... The network providers want an additional competitive edge based on selling a higher quality service to selected customers. ... CenturyTel is the only telephone company here in the San Juan islands and it was only when the local electrical company installed fiber that we got broadband service. ...
      (soc.retirement)
    • BT to close 21CN Trial Network
      ... Following the successful migration of the first live customers onto ... BT's 21st Century Network in South Wales, ... The closure of the 21CN voice trials marks the end of one critical ...
      (uk.telecom)
    • Re: New every Two - Downgrade
      ... These are all great features, but as things stand today, they're all ... gimmicks to get the business away from Verizon. ... I sincerely hope the network situation ... Ultimately, Sprint/Nextel, Cingular and T-Mo customers will start screaming ...
      (alt.cellular.verizon)