Re: Software Firewalls

From: Kevin Reiter (tux_at_penguinnetwerx.net)
Date: 10/02/05

    Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2005 23:42:55 -0400
    To: security-basics@securityfocus.com

    falvarez wrote:
    > I have tried lot of firewalls, (PIX, CheckpionT; Junipeer), and the best
    > solution has been PF+FreeBSD+DUmmynet, incredible uh!

    Two more *BSD-based firewalls are m0n0wall [1] and pfSense [2]. Both
    are based on FreeBSD, have web interfaces for configuration, and support
    the usual stuff (NAT, pf, etc.)

    An interesting thing about pfSense is the fact that it's based on m0n0wall.

    [1] http://m0n0.ch/wall/
    [2] http://www.pfsense.com/

    • Re: -current silent lockups
      ... Your post doesn't say how you have FreeBSD configured to run at boot, ... <ACPI PCI bus> on pcib0 ... # GENERIC -- Generic kernel configuration file for FreeBSD/amd64 ... # Bus support. ...
      (freebsd-current)
    • Re: freebsd problem: Cannot detect Hard Disk (SATA)
      ... Hi Xin LI, ... configuration. ... They only support FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE. ...
      (freebsd-hackers)
    • Re: aac, aaccli no longer work on 7.
      ... FreeBSD that has support for OS level interaction and configuration. ...
      (freebsd-current)
    • Re: What about BIND 9.3.4 in FreeBSD in base system ?
      ... but whether a full upgrade is needed for "support" or not depends on your definition. ... Given that FreeBSD is not vulnerable to these issues in its default configuration, one could easily argue that an upgrade for RELENG_5 isn't necessary. ...
      (FreeBSD-Security)
    • PROBLEM: Dell Inspiron 1501 fails to boot in 2.6.21+
      ... My new laptop won't boot with kernel versions 2.6.21 or 2.6.22. ... I've also included my kernel configuration and ver_linux output. ... Enabling unmasked SIMD FPU exception support... ... usbcore: ...
      (Linux-Kernel)