Re: Hard drive encryption in windows

From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers (bugtraq_at_planetcobalt.net)
Date: 09/29/05

    Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 13:46:03 +0200
    To: security-basics@securityfocus.com

    On 2005-09-27 Rob Thompson wrote:
    > No EFS is not good.
    >
    > For starters it is only encrypting the data that you tell it to. What
    > if that file that you are accessing is copied over to the Swap File?
    > Now you have an unencrypted copy on your computer, and a false sense
    > of security.

    A valid concern. It can be mitigated to a point by configuring Windows
    to wipe the pagefile on shutdown, but that will only help on a clean
    shutdown.

    > Also, there are tools freely available on the internet, with just a
    > VERY SMALL amount of looking that will break into the EFS.

    Please elaborate. AFAIK that was only true for EFS in Windows 2000.

    Regards
    Ansgar Wiechers

    --
    "Another option [for defragmentation] is to back up your important files,
    erase the hard disk, then reinstall Mac OS X and your backed up files."

    • Re: Encryption Across Network File Shares
      ... the user should be able to decrypt and work on the EFS files. ... for Delegation" and the user that is encrypting/decrypting will have to be ... certificate/private key into your domain account, by encrypting a file ...
    • Re: Encryption Across Network File Shares
      ... The computer with the share that you want to contain EFS files and the ... certificate/private key into your domain account, by encrypting a file while ... "Rick Blake" wrote in message ...
    • Re: EFS Certificate Needed
      ... Backup and save on non-degrading media the EFS DRA .pfx file ... Foe sure I will follow "Windows Recommendations". ... that recovery agent will only have ... Best practices for the Encrypting File System ...
      (microsoft.public.security)
    • Re: EFS Certificate Issue
      ... It's most useful for EFS certs when users have roaming profiles. ... user's Personal cert store, ... >> Keys are stored in a user's profile. ... >> generate) another keypair when encrypting a file. ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
    • Re: What _does_ EFS stand for?
      ... EFS = Encrypting File System ... > space required to back up the entire disc so having done ...