Windows XP SP2 and Security Tools

From: Steve McLaughlin (Steve.McLaughlin_at_aggreko.co.uk)
Date: 09/19/05

    Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 15:45:33 +0100
    To: <pen-test@securityfocus.com>, <security-basics@securityfocus.com>

    Hi List,

    We are currently in the stage of rolling out Windows XP SP2. I know that this had some problems with winpcap a while back.
    we use all the good open source security tools we can with windows, cos its easier than putty to the linux box.

    Des anyone know of any issues, or problems that SP2 may pose from what a security pen-testing box is concerned.
    Will it affect any Windows based security tools, or are there any other issues it has from a security point of view?
    Considering it is also my workstation, and hence we have to use windows for it.

    Thankyou in Advance,
    Steve

    Visit us at http://www.aggreko.com

    Confidentiality Notice: This communication and any accompanying attachments contain confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose. This communication is private and protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby respectfully notified that any disclosures, copying, forwarding or distribution, or the taking of any action based on the contents of this communication is strictly prohibited.

    • [NT] Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer (MS04-025)
      ... Get your security news from a reliable source. ... * Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0 Service Pack 6a ... Navigation Method Cross-Domain Vulnerability ...
      (Securiteam)
    • [NT] Vulnerability in HTML Help Allows Code Execution (MS05-001)
      (Securiteam)
    • Re: The Myth of the secure Mac
      ... OEM Windows XP Home goes for a bit under $100. ... >> secure than Home. ... Though this really has nothing to do with security. ... Microsoft counts on third-party developers to provide more ...
      (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
    • SecurityFocus Microsoft Newsletter # 149
      ... MICROSOFT VULNERABILITY SUMMARY ... EveryBuddy Long Message Denial Of Service Vulnerability ... Intellitactics Network Security Manager ... Windows operating systems. ...
      (Focus-Microsoft)
    • SecurityFocus Microsoft Newsletter #120
      ... Strengthening Network Security: FREE Guide Network security is a ... MICROSOFT VULNERABILITY SUMMARY ... Microsoft Windows File Protection Signed File Replacement... ... PlatinumFTPServer Information Disclosure Vulnerability ...
      (Focus-Microsoft)