Re: University Degree or CISSP

bgreene_at_ccllc.org
Date: 08/30/05

    Date: 30 Aug 2005 21:08:10 -0000
    To: security-basics@securityfocus.com

    ('binary' encoding is not supported, stored as-is) I am currently attending classes for my 2 yr CS degree, it has been suggested to me to go ahead and get some certs now. I am lucky enough to have moved to a position with my present employer in the IT department and am getting the all important hands on. Perhaps I will get my certs, perhaps not. One thing I am certain of is that I will not stop at a 2 yr degree, that would be as bad as the fellow with an arm full of MSCE's thinking he is <insert higher power>'s gift to computers. I would trade 2 years hands on for one year schooling anyday. The issue with me currently not having any certs or degrees is that, even though I am confident in my skills, I have no way to prove to a future employer that I do know what I profess to know.<br><br>Get the degree, you can always go for the certs during the summer months when school is out.