RE: University Degree or CISSP

From: David Gillett (gillettdavid_at_fhda.edu)
Date: 08/30/05

    To: <soumyadipta_das@yahoo.com>, <security-basics@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 09:55:02 -0700

      CISSP is likely to be necessary to get to some of the places
    you might want to go. But you can't get it without experience,
    so it's not a good answer to your question.

      At this point, I'd say the degree is most critical. There
    are too many employers where the HR bureaucracy never heard of
    any of these certifications -- all they know is that a great
    way to trim the candidate pool is to chuck out any resume that
    doesn't include a degree. So without it, you risk never getting
    to the interviewer who knows the field and the certs and can
    decide whether you can do the job.

    David Gillett