RE: University Degree or CISSP

From: David Gillett (gillettdavid_at_fhda.edu)
Date: 08/30/05

    To: <soumyadipta_das@yahoo.com>, <security-basics@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 09:55:02 -0700

      CISSP is likely to be necessary to get to some of the places
    you might want to go. But you can't get it without experience,
    so it's not a good answer to your question.

      At this point, I'd say the degree is most critical. There
    are too many employers where the HR bureaucracy never heard of
    any of these certifications -- all they know is that a great
    way to trim the candidate pool is to chuck out any resume that
    doesn't include a degree. So without it, you risk never getting
    to the interviewer who knows the field and the certs and can
    decide whether you can do the job.

    David Gillett

      ... I have been in industry for a while and just obtained my CISSP and I ... The reality is certs ... A+ or Network+) than high level certifications such as CCNP/CCIE, ... require much more study than almost any college class ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: University Degree or CISSP
      ... I've run into countless individuals who have certifications but really ... that has a few Cisco certs but wasn't quite sure what telnet was. ... If you obtained a CISSP, ... >a university degree on information security than certifications such as ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • credentials & experience (was: Re: OPST vs CEH
      ... > Certs in general, in my opinion, do not offer anything other then the ... > many countless people that have certifications ranging from GSEC, CISSP, ... > get into security or whatever field their cert is for. ...
      (Pen-Test)
    • RE: [Full-Disclosure] Training & Certifications
      ... Subject: Training & Certifications ... > Something curious to know about CISSP is this.... ... ISC2 told me that they never verify if anyone ... > that the person was not listed in the CISSP database on the ISC2 web site. ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • RE: Certification Advice
      ... > You can no longer get your CISSP. ... > I am considering getting some certifications under ... > increase my security knowledge. ... > Captus Networks ...
      (Security-Basics)