RE: how to block connections running on non-default ports

From: AMOL (amol.sable_at_capsilon.com)
Date: 08/22/05

    To: "Niranjan S Patil" <niranjan.patil@gmail.com>
    Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 14:53:26 +0530

    Hi Niranjan,
    Nice question!

    Any IDS in inline mode, or Firewall will block the packets as per the rules
    defined for blocking/allowing.
    Generally,Port 80-HTTP and 443-HTTPS are among the most common ports in the
    "allowed" ones.
    And yes; your Firewall doesn't know more than source (IP:PORT) destination
    (IP:PORT) and state (if you have an option of a stateful inspection of
    packets).
    From your scenario it looks like you have a packet filter Firewall.A
    firewall implemented with the Packet Filters work at Network Layer of
    ISO/OSI stack.
    Hence it cant stop telnet connection to the server listening on "allowed"
    port.

    Similar is the case for Inline IDS.

    But as a security measure you can make sure that hosts on your network are
    NOT practicing things like: running telnet server on port 443. Strictly. And
    you can implement ALG (or simply enable it if its already present)option in
    your Firewall.
    A firewall implemented with the Application Layer Gateways(ALG) work at the
    Application Layer of ISO/OSI stack.

    Hope this may help a little.

    Regards
    --Amol.