FW: Your opinion on Skype

From: Joe George (j.george_at_conservation.org)
Date: 08/18/05

    Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 11:14:03 -0400
    To: <security-basics@securityfocus.com>

    I've been reading several articles including the link to one below regarding Skype software.  We have several users in our HQ office as well as field offices who were recommended to use Skype to keep in communication.  Several of us in our IT department are very apprehensive about it for many reasons including the fact it's not been through a pilot phase.  Aside from the VoIP functionality, I do not understand why they need it, because we have an enterprise IM client available, which you can integrate several other IM clients with.  A VoIP solution is not far away from being deployed throughout organization as well.

    Skype's claim of being secure does little to ease my mind.  Skype is not on the list of our supported applications, and as a low on the totem pole I am within the organization; I would be remiss by not mentioning my apprehension to the end-user of it being on their computer.   I just wanted to get your thoughts on it.  I've installed Skype on my own computer and haven't seen any adverse effects, but I do not use it often due to lack of time.  Have any of you deployed it successfully within your network? What is your opinion on the application?

    http://networks.silicon.com/telecoms/0,39024659,39125816,00.htm

    Thanks in advance,

    Joe