Web mail intercepted! How?

pagoda33_at_sbcglobal.net
Date: 08/04/05

    Date: 4 Aug 2005 03:56:31 -0000
    To: security-basics@securityfocus.com

    ('binary' encoding is not supported, stored as-is) Someone at our company sent email using a free Web mail service from a workstation inside our network. The message was somehow intercepted by a third party, was forwarded to an unknown number of people, and found its way back to the sender...

    Needless to say, the sender is quite upset ...

    We don't know whether the Web mail account was compromised from the outside, or if someone is packet-sniffing or keylogging from inside the network.

    We're going to start looking tomorrow... any ideas on how to proceed?