Re: Email Encryption

From: Dennis Kibbe (lists_at_sahuaro.f2s.com)
Date: 07/27/05

    To: Chris Griffin <cgriffin@dcmindiana.com>
    Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 06:07:00 -0700

    On 25 Jul 2005 at 14:14, Chris Griffin wrote:

    > Hello list,
    > Im trying to gather information on the best route to go with email
    > encryption.
    > I would just jump at PGP, but there are also Linux machines to be involved.
    > I was testing out WinPT/GPG, and that works well, but there seem to be
    > periodic glitches.
    > Since many of the people that will be involved in sending/recieving
    > encrypted company email are not technical, and some offsite, Id like
    > something that involved the least support
    > possible.
    >
    > Does anyone have any recomendations or sugestions?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Chris

    Chris,

    Your Linux boxes can use GNU Privacy Guard (www.gnupg.org) which
    is a free (as in free beer or as in free speech) implamentation of PGP.

    Most Linux mail clients (Evolution, T'Bird, Sylpheed, mutt, pine) support
    it. Enigmail for Thunderbird works especially well.
    Also, there are some programs that intercept all
    incoming/outgoing mail and decrypt and encrypt as needed
    seamlessly -- no user intervention needed at all.
    You might look at Hushmail as well.
    Dennis Kibbe
    Phoenix Linux Users Group

    • Re: Real Survivalists Dont Do Windoze
      ... In lay terms I'm controlling a high powered Linux desktop workstation ... Now RSA encryption can be broken with h/w access: ...
      (misc.survivalism)
    • Re: Real Survivalists Dont Do Windoze
      ... In lay terms I'm controlling a high powered Linux desktop workstation ... onto a smaller display laptop with much less horsepower as a single ... Since 1977, RSA public-key encryption has protected privacy and verified authenticity when using computers, gadgets and web browsers around the globe, with only the most brutish of brute force efforts felling its 768-bit variety earlier this year. ...
      (misc.survivalism)
    • Re: Distro Poll, what do you use?
      ... Granted, you're correct that Chris himself did not ever accuse wiredkiwi of "selling", and on that point I'm a bit off the mark. ... The remark I had in mind was when he said "Firstly, you didn't make it obvious that it was "free". ... my first beef on the subject of rudeness was with Chris when I lauded you for your post in the "Something newbies should know" thread. ... If I were reading a Windows or Mac newsgroup, then obviously I'm not ready to or interested in a switch to linux. ...
      (alt.os.linux)
    • Re: OT: unathorized network user.
      ... Linux machines to see my one remaining windows machine, ... Not long after I turn the encryption off, ... some one who lives near me, whose machine gets on my network. ... become a source of spam, they have every right to cancel your service. ...
      (Fedora)
    • US crypto export regs (was Re: Use of Debian For Non-Profits)
      ... We're trying to find a version of Linux that we could ... > current encryption. ... is subject to an express agreement for the payment of a license fee ... from the compiling of such source code is also eligible for License ...
      (Debian-User)