Re: Wardialing - Odd Results

security_at_surefoot.com
Date: 07/22/05

    To: security-basics@securityfocus.com
    Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 09:16:39 -0600

    Hi Ron

    On Thursday 21 July 2005 10:41, Ron <Ro> wrote:
    > Hey guys,
    >
    > Lately, we've been doing a Wardial on our network. We found some odd
    > results that weren't identified by PhoneSweep. So I dialed in with
    > HyperTerminal and got a lot of "garbage". I sent a series of "a"'s (I
    > held down the a button for awhile) and more stuff showed up.
    >
    > I attached a capture of the session, just in case that helps. I think
    > the "FF"'s near the top were what was being echoed back when I was
    > holding "a".
    >
    > Is there some obvious setting to change? Or is there a better program
    > to dial in with? I'm guessing that something is off, but I'm not
    > familiar with using dialup modems.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ron

    It looks like the Databits/Parity/Stopbits are off. I'm guessing your modem is
    set to use the regular 8N1 setting, and the other end is not. Unfortunately
    it has been too long ago for me to remember other standard settings.

    • Re: Missing Page Numbers
      ... By "unnumbered," I'm guessing you mean the number doesn't appear on the ... First Page Header/Footer. ... have put a PAGE field in the Odd Page Header/Footer but not the Even or vice ... Microsoft MVP (Word) ...
      (microsoft.public.word.pagelayout)
    • Re: Spelling ikkagetsu
      ... Paul Blay wrote/skrev/kaita/popisal/schreibt: ... i do but i find it very odd for you to wonder that. ... i'm guessing you try to tell med something and ... certainly not correcting you. ...
      (sci.lang.japan)
    • Re: Megaupload...the world war web
      ... I'm guessing that it doesn't really strike you as odd at all, ... that you understand human nature. ...
      (rec.arts.sf.written)
    • Re: 1 vs 100 tonight
      ... i found that a bit odd. ... I'm guessing the reason for that is lots of people have created new ... Silver accounts to get a free month of Gold so they can try it out! ...
      (uk.games.video.misc)