Symantec Security Gateway 5400 - opinions?

From: M K (itpro1_at_gmail.com)
Date: 07/21/05

    Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 09:43:35 -0400
    To: security-basics@securityfocus.com

    I was wondering if anyone had anything to say about the Symantec
    Security Gateway 5400?

    How does it stack up as a firewall and as an IDS?

    What comparable products would you recommend?

    Regards,
    MK

    • RE: Thinking about Security rules...
      ... > Subject: Re: Thinking about Security rules... ... >>rules for the IDS. ... by which you attack. ... firewalls in series isn't nearly as nice as a stateful firewall coupled ...
      (Vuln-Dev)
    • Re: Is IDS/IPS worthless?
      ... >>firewall instead of in front of it should BOTH ... >>fill in the gap left by the false sense of security firewalls give (a ... >IDS technology and I certainly believe in the usefullness of IDS. ... that is confusing IDS and NIDS together. ...
      (Focus-IDS)
    • Gartner comments (was Re: Rather funny; looks like page defacement to me)
      ... All IDS systems produce falses. ... In fact, all network security ... firewall monitoring long before they deployed their first IDS. ... Gartner, you really missed the boat on this one. ...
      (Focus-IDS)
    • Re: IDS on Switched Networks
      ... connecting a network IDS to it would be fine. ... Higher state of alert you know what attacks you are ... If your firewall has NAT turned on, ...
      (Focus-IDS)
    • RE: IDS, IPS or just rubbish
      ... then it sounds a lot like an IDS to me. ... I wonder what ISS' new firewall will be called? ... They do not have many signatures. ... world's premier technical IT security event! ...
      (Focus-IDS)