RE: Skype bypasses Windows XP Firewall

From: David Low (david.low_at_imcorporation.com)
Date: 06/17/05

    To: <security-basics@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 09:03:36 +0800

    Dear All,

    I'm wondering does anyone have clue regarding Skype (A free internet VOIP
    thingy : http://www.skype.com) which bypasses Windows XP SP2 firewall.

    It just automatically adds itself to the exception list without user
    intervention.

    But if u were to use ZoneAlarm, the ZA is still able to detect and block
    connection.

    It there something lagging in the Windows Firewall or is it the program
    which can bypass it.

    If you require further assistance or would like more details, please do not
    hesitate to contact us.

    Regards,

    David Low
    System / Network Engineer

    I'M Technologies Ltd
    51 Changi Business Park Central 2
    # 09-13 The Signature
    Singapore 486066

    DID: (65) 6780 0815
    Fax: (65) 6789 3980
    www.imcorporation.com

                                                 ==================== IMPORTANT
    NOTICE ====================
    (1) This email and all attachments transmitted with it are intended solely
    for the use of the recipients named above. The information contained herein
    may be confidential, privileged or protected from disclosure by applicable
    laws. If you have received this transmission by mistake, please notify the
    author of this email immediately and delete this email and all attachments
    from your system. Unauthorized copying, dissemination or use of any of the
    contents of this transmission is strictly prohibited. (2) The views and
    opinions expressed in this email are the author's own and do not necessarily
    represent that of I'M Technologies Ltd, its subsidiaries, representative and
    branch office or any of its affiliated companies.