Re: How to secure /tmp and /dev/shm at linux?

From: Phil Cryer (phil_at_cryer.us)
Date: 06/14/05

    To: security-basics@securityfocus.com
    Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 14:51:52 -0500

    -----Original Message-----
    >From: "Monty Ree" <chulmin2@hotmail.com>
    >
    >I have found that lots of attackers using /tmp or /dev/shm to save
    >and execute backdoor. So I would like to secure this directory..
    >
    >I opened /etc/fstab file and added noexec, nosuid option and remounted.

    On FreeBSD I've always set /tmp this way:

    /dev/ad0s1e /tmp ufs rw,nosuid,nodev 2 2

    "You teach best what you most need to learn." - Richard Bach

    • Re: Wanting To Try FreeBSD: Security Question.
      ... How hard is it to secure FreeBSD for a desktop computer? ... The relatively minimal pf.conf file for the firewall I run on my laptop, ... A firewall is not the end of all your security needs. ...
      (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
    • Re: Secure Servers (SMTP, POP3, FTP)
      ... Mail and other features in both secure and insecure contexts. ... >FTP Options: ... wu-Ftpd - Good security excellent performance ... Qmail - Secure, written for FreeBSD, Fast, Configurable ...
      (FreeBSD-Security)
    • Re: user owned groups
      ... > I've noticed that with some Linux distributions the default behavior ... Assuming that Freebsd was designed to be more ... Both systems should be equally secure. ... access to student directories, ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: Firewall/gateway newbie
      ... While i agree with the assessment that OpenBSD is more secure, ... > (Mandrake SNF, Smoothwall, FreeBSD to name some). ... > would be best to get FreeBSD 4.5 running as some sort of firewall. ... > lost as when I started). ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: Apple Computer sides with Satan
      ... Where on earth did you hear that it's not that secure? ... You speak of Unix as though it were one OS. ... Granted, FreeBSD isn't a hardened OS, but it's reasonably secure. ... > I believe the "resistance to security breaches" is due mainly to the ...
      (sci.astro.amateur)